—Official Speaker Bio—
Kevin F. Adler is an entrepreneur and sociologist who uses technology to unlock the potential of our communities. As Founder and CEO of NearShot, a media company based in San Francisco, Kevin is using smart phones to humanize society's most vulnerable individuals. In their first series, Miracle Messages, homeless individuals record short video messages to their loved ones. Can the power of social media help them reconnect after all these years? NearShot has been featured in NBC News, NPR, SF Chronicle, TechCrunch, and other major media outlets. This fall, Kevin will embark on a 14-city road trip to film season 1 and help homeless volunteers reconnect across the US.
Kevin is the author of the book, Natural Disasters as a Catalyst for Social Capital (2015), published by Rowman & Littlefield. 500 Year-Flood is a ground-breaking book that reveals the impact of natural disasters on our collective sense of togetherness ("social capital"). His writing has been published in the New York Times, Christian Science Monitor, TechCrunch, Huffington Post, Cedar Rapids Gazette, and two edited volumes: An Education in Facebook (Routledge 2014) and Community Disaster Recovery and Resiliency (CRC Press 2010).
Kevin has spoken at Microsoft NERD, Stanford, The Downtown Project, Rotary, and Dev Bootcamp. He is a founding trustee of the Awesome Foundation-SF, a New Leaders Council Fellow (SF), a StartingBloc Fellow, and a Hive Global Leader. Previously, Kevin co-founded alumn.us (a fundraising platform for high schools), Entangled Ventures (an EdTech incubator), and BetterGrads (an online mentoring nonprofit). He served one year as an ambassador of goodwill for Rotary International in Oaxaca, Mexico.
In 2015, Kevin will attend Singularity University's Graduate Studies Program at NASA, one of 80 students selected from 4000 applicants. He completed his graduate studies at the University of Cambridge, and was the Culley Award recipient as the top graduate at Occidental College. Say hello on Twitter @kevinfadler, email kevin [at] kevinfadler.com, or join him for his monthly Fireside Potlucks.
Random tidbits about Kevin
- He is an Honorary Lifetime Member of the Rotary Club of Livermore Valley
- He had a small speaking role in the Sundance-award winning film, La Nina. (He has still yet to see it.)
- He was voted "Most Likely to Win an Oscar" by his High School Senior Class. (Baby steps.)
- He has used his middle initial "F" since middle school to honor his mom for helping to raise him (Farrington = her maiden name).
- Attention Ladies: he was recently named one of San Francisco's most eligible men. "It's nice to finally be recognized for my work."
- He has never tried coffee.
- His great-grandfather arrived at Ellis Island and changed the family last name from Orzeł to Adler: the Polish to German for "eagle."
Recent SPEAKING APPEARANCES & EVENTS
- June 7th, 2015 at 8am & 10:15am: Sermon: Walk with Jesus with your smart phone, at St. Clare's Episcopal Church (Pleasanton, CA)
- May 28th, 2015 at 7pm: Panel Talk: Climate Reality Leadership Corps, at Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP (San Francisco, CA)
- May 20th, 2015 at 4:30pm: Talk: What We Learned From Our Successful Crowdfunding Campaign, at Indiegogo (San Francisco, CA)
- May 9th, 2015: Talk: Natural Disasters as a Catalyst for Social Capital, at New Bo Books Library (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- May 7th, 2015: Learning Forward: A Community Forum on Social Capital, with The Gazette & KCRG-TV9 (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- May 7th, 2015: Reading: Natural Disasters as a Catalyst for Social Capital, with The Gazette & KCRG-TV9 (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- May 2nd, 2015: Talk: Natural Disasters as a Catalyst for Social Capital, at the Cornell College Library (Mt. Vernon, IA)
- April 30th, 2015: How to use new media to share your stories as nonprofits, with Pathways to Housing PA (Philadelphia, PA)