—Official Speaker Bio—
Kevin F. Adler is an entrepreneur and sociologist who uses technology to unlock the potential of our communities. As Founder and CEO of NearShot, a media + interaction company, Kevin is creating a better alternative to Reality TV that is compelling and socially good. In their first series, #miraclemessages, homeless individuals record short video messages to their loved ones. Can the power of social media help them reconnect after all these years?
NearShot has been featured on NBC, FOX, ABC, NPR, Forbes, and dozens of other outlets. In the Fall of 2015, Kevin will embark on a cross-country road trip to capture #100stories of homelessness across the US, alongside local volunteer storytellers and nonprofits.
Kevin is the author of the book, Natural Disasters as a Catalyst for Social Capital (2015), published by Rowman & Littlefield. 500 Year-Flood is a ground-breaking book that reveals the impact of natural disasters on our collective sense of togetherness ("social capital"). His writing has been published in the New York Times, Christian Science Monitor, TechCrunch, Huffington Post, Cedar Rapids Gazette, and two edited volumes: An Education in Facebook (Routledge 2014) and Community Disaster Recovery and Resiliency (CRC Press 2010).
Kevin has spoken at Microsoft NERD, Stanford, The Downtown Project, Rotary, and Dev Bootcamp. He is a founding trustee of the Awesome Foundation-SF, a New Leaders Council Fellow (SF), a StartingBloc Fellow, and a Hive Global Leader. Previously, Kevin co-founded alumn.us (a fundraising platform for high schools), Entangled Ventures (an EdTech incubator), and BetterGrads (an online mentoring nonprofit). He served one year as an ambassador of goodwill for Rotary International in Oaxaca, Mexico.
In 2015, Kevin will attend Singularity University's Graduate Studies Program at NASA, one of 80 students selected from 4000 applicants. He completed his graduate studies at the University of Cambridge, and was the Culley Award recipient as the top graduate at Occidental College. Say hello on Twitter @kevinfad, email kevin [at] kevinfadler.com, or join him for his monthly Fireside Potluck in SF.
Recent SPEAKING APPEARANCES & EVENTS
- May 20th, 2015 at 4:30pm: Talk: What We Learned From Our Successful Crowdfunding Campaign, at Indiegogo (San Francisco, CA)
- May 9th, 2015: Talk: Natural Disasters as a Catalyst for Social Capital, at New Bo Books Library (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- May 7th, 2015: Learning Forward: A Community Forum on Social Capital, with The Gazette & KCRG-TV9 (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- May 7th, 2015: Reading: Natural Disasters as a Catalyst for Social Capital, with The Gazette & KCRG-TV9 (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- May 2nd, 2015: Talk: Natural Disasters as a Catalyst for Social Capital, at the Cornell College Library (Mt. Vernon, IA)
- April 30th, 2015: How to use new media to share your stories as nonprofits, with Pathways to Housing PA (Philadelphia, PA)